Career Online High School @ PSPL
The Palm Springs Public Library offers free enrollment to a limited number of adult learners to earn an accredited high school diploma and a career certificate.
PSPL’s Career Online High School (COHS) program awards scholarships to candidates who meet requirements and pass a prerequisite course and interview. With Career Online High School, you are supported from enrollment to graduation. Earn your high school diploma, expand career opportunities, and prepare to enter the workforce. You can achieve your goals!
About the Program
- Earn your high school diploma and a career certificate in one of 8 fields.
- Create a career portfolio containing your résumé and cover letters.
- Attend online courses available 24/7.
- Spend at least 8-10 hours weekly on this self-paced program.
- Be assigned an academic coach who offers guidance and support.
- Complete 18 credits total (see Graduation Requirements) within 18 months.
- Average completion time is 12 months.
- By transferring credits from previously completed accredited high school courses, you may shorten your completion time.
- This is not a GED program; upon successful completion, you will receive an accredited high school diploma.
- Be aged 19 or older
- Live in the Coachella Valley
- Have a valid Palm Springs Public Library Resident Card or be willing and eligible to apply for one
- Welcome Card Holders are unable to continue to the prerequisite course
- Be willing to dedicate 8-10 hours per week on coursework
- Be comfortable reading, writing, and speaking in English
- Have basic computer and internet skills
- Have completed at least the 8th grade
Getting Started...It’s as Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Learn More: Visit the Career Online High School Website.
- Self-Assessment: To see if Career Online High School is a good fit, take the Online Self-Assessment.
- Prerequisite Course: Within 2 weeks, enroll with your library card, complete the prerequisite course, and select one of 8 career options.
PSPL will contact eligible applicants completing the Online Self-Assessment with enrollment instructions for a prerequisite course.
- Upon successfully completing the prerequisite course, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. If you are not offered a scholarship, you may be placed on a waitlist until additional scholarships become available.
- Once enrolled, COHS pairs each student with an online academic coach who provides the student with an individual career path, offers guidance, evaluates performance and connects the student with resources needed to master courses.
- Visit the Career Online High School Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Email PSPL at email@example.com.
- In some instances, it may be more appropriate to pursue your GED. For more information on obtaining your GED, visit the Official GED Website.
Career Online High School Pilot Program
The Career Online High School program is available to the Palm Springs Public Library through a partnership with Gale, a part of Cengage Learning. The Career Online High School Pilot Program is generously supported by the Friends of the Palm Springs Library and a matching grant from the California State Library.